Friday, August 21, 2015

The Evolution of CK


The Evolution of CK
“There’s just something about music that hypnotizes me…when it hits, it’s like I’m no longer Clara..that’s when I become’CK ”. Born Clara Mkaamerica Kahwa on March 5, 1984, CK had a love for music before she could talk. “My mom said she had to stop going to church because the moment I heard music there I was heading to the altar to perform, so I guess my love for it started then”. Birthed by Tanzanian parents, CK was born in Baton Rouge Louisiana, USA and migrated to Jamaica in Oct 1987. She attended Zenith Preparatory then went on to St. Andrew High School for girls. “I sang a little in high school, I was in the choir for a while then opted out. I fantasized about being the next Brandy, Monica or Janet Jackson, as I locked myself in my room and sang the entire Brandy album, ‘Never say never" like it was my own (laughing) imagining sold out tours across the world but back then it was just a fantasy". Thereafter, she went to UWI to acquire her Bachelors in Mathematics (major) & Economics (minor). “It was in my last year at UWI that I really said ok let me try a ting. My younger brother, Timothy, who has been obsessed with music since he was 14 was behind the computer building riddims and one day while he was blasting his riddim, I began writing to it and that same day recorded in the closet in his room and I think that’s where my musical journey really started, with Timmy".
After which Timothy met popular DJ, Supa Hype and made him listen to the track they did. SupaHype liked the track and decided to send some instrumentals for CK to write to, one of which was called the “Supanatural” riddim. "I wrote a song called ‘Trouble’ on it and it got a lil air play (blushing & laughing) but it was like kinda surreal hearing myself on the radio knowing that this is what I’ve been waiting for yet part of me was still dissatisfied, I wasn’t the artiste I envisioned myself to be, I didn’t know where I wanted to go with music, I didn’t discover my sound or my image but I knew I loved to write and sing".
WHO IS CK – With the entertainment capital of Jamaican radio, FAME FM, listing her as one of the top 10 artistes to watch out for in 2014, C K describes herself as soft but rough, smooth yet edgy; sassy, soulful, fun yet vulnerable, all reflecting the many moods and styles of her music. Rooted in reggae and dancehall , CK brings a R&B/Pop twist to the table as her influences range from Alaine, Lady Saw, Tifa to Janet Jackson, Rihanna and Monica. So far on her musical journey she has teamed up with the musical geniuses Kunley “Ward 21” McCarthy ,Andre ‘Suku’ Gray, artiste and producer Karl Morrison ,Timothy “Quik Keyz” Kahwa , Comar “Frankie Music” Campbell, Kenyan discjock and producer “ZJ Heno”, UK discjock and producer Steve “Asha D” Ash and most recently, Jamaican A-list producer and international artiste Craig “Leftside” Parks . Her music is gaining airplay locally and internationally as she gradually carves her place in the music industry. She performed at Sumfest 2013 &2014 on the Digicel Stage and most recently gave an exuberant performance at “JaRIA live” the 2014 series held during February by the Reggae Industry Association of Jamaica. She recently joined forces with International Dancehall Artiste, Konshens and represents proudly for the females on “Body of the year” as she displays her growth and diversity as a sultry singer.
“ My aim as an artiste is to give you a show every time you watch me whether through the choreography in my performance or through the passion I display while singing my songs. I truly want to entertain my audience, not only vocally or lyrically but with all of my talents…I want you to get lost with me in the music ....”
DanceC K has been dancing for over 11 years. She was classically trained by Elizabeth Samuda at Vickers Dance Studio up to Grade 8 after which she joined Movements Dance Company of Jamaica at age 14 in 1998. “Movements taught me the art of performance. I had mentors like Michelle Tappin-Lee, Monica Campbell- McFarlane and other principal dancers in the company to watch and learn how to transform into different characters through dance and how to just learn to lose myself in the music and let it take me to where it & the choreographer wanted me to be. That’s where my passion for music reignited. Through working with world renowned choreographers like Christopher Huggins and some of Jamaica’s known & breakthrough choreographers , Michael Holgate, Neila Ebanks, Joni McCalla, Liane Williams to name a few, I became a better performer and dancer cause they pushed me to explore my other sides and really become one with music. So then I used that drive in singing. All these people helped me start my journey in recognizing the artiste that once upon a time I never believe existed”.
Come take a journey with her on the evolution of CK.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-V-8_YWp5E
CK's Latest Single Now Playing On Streetwise Radio  "FACE BOY"

 VIDEOS
Body of the Year with Konshens

I wanna be down

Party up in here Official Video 

True Colours Official Video

No comments:

Post a Comment